So I found this on pinterest and thought I would try this and make a jam cake or maybe some jam cupcakes I’m not sure yet but I guess we will all find out later after I talk my boy into going to the store with me =)
Here is the plan:
Step 1: Look at the directions on the cake mix
Step 2: Add one more egg (or add 2 if you want it to be very rich)
Step 3: Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount
Step 4: Instead of water use milk
Step 5: Mix well and bake for the time recommended on the box.
So for the jam filling:
My plan is to get some jam that I like-strawberry more than likely-and get some gelatin to add to it to thicken it up.
So I picked seedless strawberry jam because I love all things strawberry!
I also picked up a can of “cupcake icing” to make my dam with for the jam. I figured this would be easier than dragging out the pipping bags and dealing with that. I figured I could also maybe decorate the top when I’m done!
What you will need:
- 1 box of cake mix (your choice) [I’m using classic yellow]
- 1 jar of seedless jam (you could use one with seeds but I’m afraid it would cause texture issues)
- 1 box of unflavored gelatine (or if you already have some one of the packets)
- 2 cans of frosting
- 1 can of decorating frosting (if like me you are to lazy to pipe it)
- 4 eggs (fun fact room temp eggs work the best in baking)
- 2/3 cup of butter (melted)
- 1 cup milk
- two 9-inch round pans (or whatever you want to use)
So I did it! Here is the first layer I did a thin layer of icing on the top and then put the dam of icing then put my strawberry jam mixture in and then iced the other layer then very carefully flipped it over onto the cake. I found that there was a little gap between my layers so I just took the cupcake icing and filled it in completely. After that I finished the icing.
I added some of the sauce on top after I got finished it didn’t go as planned but I figure its okay since its just at my house lol.I also tried to decorate around the top but that didn’t go so well either.