So its been hot lately…like in the mid nineties hot and it decided to rain today….so this is sorta what my hair looks like today…
So today is a good day in the Ratliff household! The sounds of hot oil crackling, water boiling, and the sounds of chopping are in the air! I managed to talk my momma into frying chicken today! Which never happens so this is pretty exciting add the fact we have fresh green beans, pasta salad, potato salad, and coleslaw its gonna be a good night folks! But we decided to try a mixture of panko breading, flour, milk, eggs and a little Grippos barbecue flavoring powder to the mix. If you don’t know what Grippos chips are , well bless your heart, go find you some and enjoy chip goodness! But I’m excited to see how it turns out.
Today I embarked on an adventure I have enjoyed fresh green beans for years now but today was the first time I made the journey of awesomeness myself! I went shopping with my mimi and Foodcity actually had some great looking beans so I splurged and got me some! So after stringing them, cutting out the bad spots, and washing them I was ready to get cooking…only problem was I wasn’t sure what I had to do for sure. I knew the general idea you put water in a big pot, through in some bacon, and let them boil. Okay so thats pretty much what you do but its good practice to add a big chunk of salt bacon and put some salt in your water. Cover the beans with water or to the edge of the beans and bring them to a boil for a little while and then turn the heat down to about a seven and let them cook until done. Then enjoy awesomeness of the best kind!
Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope everyone is having a wonderful and safe time and also remembering what this day is truly! I live near graveyards and a lot of World War II veterans are buried in these graveyards and it is good to see the families come and pay tribute to these heros. I have many family members and friends that have or are serving in the military and it is wonderful to have a day to spend time with them. Like many families after we go do the cemetery cleaning/mowing/and flower placing we have cookouts. So I hope you take time today to remember what this day is about! Have a safe day!
Go check out this awesome video!
So this year was the first time I have ever had (interest color here) fluff aka jello salad aka delicousness my boyfriends mother makes it and it is amazing! Normally you see orange fluff but you can make it anyway you want! Which is awesome so far I have had the orange, mango, and strawberry flavored and its awesome no matter what flavor! I could literally eat my body weight in this stuff it is soooo good! Below is a recipe I found and am going to try soon!!! I found two different ones to share because since I have never made it and haven’t talked Angie out of hers yet its trail and error!
1 large package orange jell-o
2 cups water
1 16 oz Cool-Whip (lite or fat-free is fine)
1/2 bag mini marshmallows
|ORANGE FLUFF JELLO SALAD|
1 sm. box orange Jello
1 sm. box vanilla pudding, cooked type
1 can mandarin oranges
8 oz. cream cheese
12 oz. Cool Whip
Soften cream cheese. Drain oranges and save juice. Add water to juice to make 2 cups liquid. Put Jello and pudding in saucepan. Slowly mix in the 2 cups of liquid. Preheat burner. When hot, put pan on. Time for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cool for 4 minutes. Add cream cheese and beat, using low speed on mixer. Mix in Cool Whip. Fold in oranges. Pour into a bowl and chill.
So our first church league softball practice was announced for this Sunday! Am I nervous? More so than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! But what’s the worse than can happen right? Well I could think of a handful of things but in preparation for it I have been working on breaking in my glove!
Dear CSS & HTML,
Our love/ hate relationship in class has finally came to an end!
Today was the last day of web design!
Now I just have to deal with you if I decide to mess with it here in posts
I can firmly say I am relieved to see the end of this relationship!
A frustrated college student
So one final down! Above is a lovely screen shot of the webpage we had to turn in for part of our final which if I do say so myself looks pretty good I don’t know if my teacher will like the zebra print to much but the extra credit never specified what kind of background! I attempted all the bonus so hopefully it will help make up for my pathetic answers for some of the written part! I still can’t believe looking at it that it took two hours to get everything fixed but the sidebar about did me in not only did you have to make it link up right, make an unordered list and change the color. Finally after forever my teacher took pity on me and changed like two characters and it finally linked up with the CSS and worked!
Over the years I have found when you travel people love to hear you talk if you have an accent that is different from their own, especially if they think its funny. First of all everyone has an accent of some sort and if you think I sound funny just imagine what you sound like to me! Now in every region you have those sayings or words that is apart of your regional dialect and here are some that I and my own family use. Some will have an explanation but some should make since ask if you need to! Also a lot of people leave the g’s off of words. So apparently I have a pretty thick accent according to my boyfriend I don’t hear it but you know I’m bias!
- Bless your heart (this can be sincere or an inslut)
- Bless your pea pickin’ heart (see above also saying there ugly to depending on use)
- Barking up the wrong tree. (you are wrong)
- Caught with your pants down.
- Go hog wild
- Gone hog wild
- Got your feathers ruffled. (upset and pouting)
- Rufflin’ some feathers (causing trouble)
- Like a bump on a log. (lazy and doing nothing)
- Stomping grounds. (familiar territory)
- Playing opossum
- Smokehouse (this can literally be used for smoking meat or it can just be a hang out for old men like a cellar)
- Do-hickey- substitute name. Like the terms whata-ma-call-it or thinga-ma-jig
- white lighting (moonshine)
- Shiner (one who makes moonshine)
- hollar (hollow)
- creek (we go not pronounce is like northerns its cre–ee-k down here and you will get laughed at saying any other way)
- Y’all or Ya’ll (more than two people)
- Holler like a stuck pig/ hog
- Horse feathers (one of days favorite instead of cussing)
- If a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn’t bump his ass when he jumped. (resulted from our saying IF too much)
- root hog or die (now my family always said this about getting food during family gatherings lol)
- slower then molasses
- Finer than frogs hair (doing well)
- like a chicken with its head cut off
- Well butter my biscuit (excited over something)
- Its like arguing with a fence post (stubbron, ain’t worth the time)
- Ain’t (in place of isn’t)
- rode hard and put up dry (rough looking)
- I declare (this can be in how its said: surprised, sarcastic, place filler if you ain’t got nothing better to say)
- been beat with an ugly stick
- meaner than a box of snakes
- well, I never
- Nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs
- Can’t carry a tune in a bucket
- living above their raisin’ (acting better than they are)
- sight for sore eyes
- once in a blue moon
- if you can’t run with the big dogs then stay on the porch
- Down yonder
- Up the creek (describing where your doing)
- prettier than a speckled pup
- slicker than snot
- that’ll burn your whiskers
- to big for his britches
- campaign liquor (moonshine)
- backer (tobacco)
- Yeller (yellow)
- Yeller bellied lily liver coward
- Poke (bag)
- supper (dinner)
- dinner (lunch)
- Why, no! (why, no I havent heard for her in years)
- tighter than tree bark (cheap)
- Old bitty (hateful women)
- Bitty (baby chick or hateful women)
- she’d stop a clock (ugly)
- Madder than a wet hen
- wilder than coons
- beat me like a dog
- sweetie pie
- sweet heart
- sissy (sister)
- flossy may
- tumble weed
Know any I missed that you’d like to see on here let me know!
So tomorrow is mothers day! So this year so far its turned out pretty cool I won a contest our local radio station was having which read:
“Want to make Mom feel special on Mother’s Day? Post a picture of you and your mom on our wall and tell us the best advice Mom ever gave you. We will share some of the posts on our morning shows and 2 lucky mothers will each win an EKB Mom & Me prize pack which includes Mother’s Day brunch for mom and a guest at East Kentucky Exposition Center, a $50 gift card from Appalachian Wireless and 4 tickets to a KY Opry Show at the Mountain Arts Center. Winners will be selected Friday May 11th.”
And would you look at that we won! Here is what I put:
My mom has not only given me but many others valuable advice being the “mother” of hundreds of students that pasted through her office at Betsy Layne High School the best advice she was given me to date is to always believe in yourself and your abilities and to always try and do your best it didn’t matter if you won or lost as long as you did your best and believed in yourself
I also got her the rose bush she wanted for mothers day so I did pretty dang on good this year if I do say so myself!
I also get my great aunt something for mothers day each year and since she was working on her flower bed yesterday I decided to get her some lilies! They are awesome if I do say so myself!
So the breakfast/lunch/brunch at the Expo Center was pretty good well the desert was!! The food not so much this older women said the chicken and dumplings were the best her grandson had ever had. Well bless his heart if that’s true! But the deserts were amazing!
Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe mothers day!